St Quenin’s chapel
The chapel is dedicated to Quenin, who was born in Vaison around 500AD, became its bishop from 556 to 578 and was canonized in 1205. His veneration is confirmed by the numerous tombs that can be seen on the way in to town and by the presence of canons before the construction of the cathedral’s cloister.
The apse dates from the 13th century. It is remarkable for its unusual triangular shape and fine workmanship : fluted pilasters with Corinthian capitals support an architrave with a frieze of tiles recycled from Roman times and a cornice in the style of classical antiquity. The nave and façade were rebuilt in the 17th century while Joseph Marie de Suarès was Bishop. Its coat of arms was placed on the façade above the oculus. A second bas-relief depicts the religious pattern of the Eucharistic vase and the vine branches common throughout Christianity. This religious symbol was chosen by the consuls in 1630 as the town’s coat of arms.